Virginia Motor Sport Club Discussion Forums
July 16, 2019, 06:16:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: C5 Z06 when to replace the dampers ? What kind ?  (Read 13812 times)
ccann26
VMSC Board

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2011, 10:20:49 AM »

My 04 z05 has hit the 50,000 mile mark I'm looking at replacing the shocks. So far I know the c6 z06 are a direct replacement which are supposed to be less expensive then the 04's.  I could get the Koni's from tire rack in sport or FSD types ? :

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/Susptabl.jsp?autoMake=Chevrolet&autoModel=Corvette+Z06&autoYear=2004&autoModClar=

the Koni website has the 2800 series for race and they are adjustable :

http://www.koni-na.com/cat_search.cfm?mt_id=1&my_year=2004&mak_id=10&mod_id=118&submit.x=36&submit.y=8&submit=Search

I've also heard that penske's are great for auto-x but not sure which kind. Grassroots has an article about a recommended tuner Named Guy Ankeny, sounds like that would be a little out of my budget though.

I wouldn't mind adjustable's, but I'm sure it would take some time to dial them in. If theres a better fixed unit I would prefer it, so I wouldn't have to climb under the car after every run  :  )

I don't want to go beyond ASP
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 10:26:24 AM by ccann26 » Logged

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. Mark Donohue
Conemasher

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 07:53:29 AM »

Contact Sam Strano at Stranoparts.com. He has quite a few options and experience setting up SS Corvettes. He will only sell you what you need and not try to upsell you. From what I've heard KONI yellows are enough, but some of the non adjustable factory ones are good too.

Tell him I sent you. Wink

~Scott Hoffman

...Maniacal Motorsports...
DS 2017 Chevrolet Camaro 2.0T
jloehlein
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 05:24:30 PM »

I do have to say that the Koni's we put on Keath and Donna's Corvette sucked to adjust.  The adjustment wasn't at the tip of the rod or on the body of the shock, but was on the rod itself, just underneath the top of the dust boot...you couldn't get to it unless you cut a slot in the dust boot or didn't use the boot at all.  Even then, you needed to pull the wheel off to adjust them.

2000 Honda Insight - Daily Driver (in the process of engine swapping now)
1995 Honda Civic CX - Street Mod/HPDE beater
1991 Mazda Miata (plus parts cars) - LeMons racecar
250whp, 1300lb Birkin S3 (track day car in the works)
ccann26
VMSC Board

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 09:46:39 PM »

Hmm I definitely don't want to spend money on something thats going to annoy me. So maybe the Koni's are off the list unless they have made changes to their design. I may just fork up the Dough and get some Penske's  :  ) it is a "corvette" I shouldn't be such a cheapskate.

If I get double adjustables I want them to be Uber easy to change because I have a feeling I'll be playing with them alot. Thats kinda why I liked the Idea of getting fixed units but i don't think they would work as well.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. Mark Donohue
ccann26
VMSC Board

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 09:48:12 PM »

Thanks Scott I'll give him a call after I do an absurd amount of research and procrastinate for several weeks.

gunny

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 01:35:28 PM »

Chris
Let me know what you find out.
I'm wanting to get a new front bar and shocks maybe for next year.

Gunny
ccann26
VMSC Board

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 05:11:50 PM »

An Lg Dealer on the corvette forum suggested these "Pfadt Johnny" O'connell JOC ?!!! I'm not sure if damper's tuned for the track would do all that well at the auto-x. They also look like fixed units I'm thinking I want double adjustable's now.... I can't make up my mind.

http://www.pfadtracing.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/1470

http://www.pfadtracing.com/blog/?p=151

gunny

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 06:24:39 PM »

Really! double adjustable ! Really?
I'm with the KISS group (Keep It Simple Stupid)
Cant wait to kick all you SS guys that  are at the limit with mods. I'm proud to say my car is really stock right off the show room floor.
It's all good and fun! See y'all on the course!
All I want is two in a row for the chevy trophy! If you don't know what it is I'll send you a pic.

Gunny.
ccann26
VMSC Board

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 07:28:28 PM »

I'll see you next weekend Mr Big Talk...... Wink

ccann26
VMSC Board

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 08:57:51 PM »

I think I'll be going with the koni's...... They got the best rep for the price. I wish I could get the Penske's but I could buy another car for how much they cost.

Whats the Chevy trophy ?

gunny

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 07:32:00 PM »

Top placing Chevrolet.

ccann26
VMSC Board

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 12:04:25 PM »

Ive never seen that before .. Where is that at ? I did pretty good last auto-x but some guy i've never seen before stole my glory !!!

I would have got him if i wasn't using old spark plugs........excuses excuses.

gunny

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 04:02:28 PM »

Ive never seen that before .. Where is that at ? I did pretty good last auto-x but some guy i've never seen before stole my glory !!!

I would have got him if i wasn't using old spark plugs........excuses excuses.

You drunk?  Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: